Saturday, June 14, 2008

Kalamazoo Fun Run and Cannery

We debated on going to the Kalamazoo Klassic fun run last night because of the storms, but the kids begged us to go so we did. It was such a blast and it only sprinkled a little as we ran outside. This was Ashleigh's first real run and she did amazing. They loved getting some free backpacks, t-shirts and of course the yummy treats after the run.



This is us right before the race began.



We all ran the race together. Kamren tripped at the beginning of the race and was bleeding on both knees but he just got right back up and kept running.



I'm so glad the kids love the races as much as I do.



After the race they had a lady making balloon animals, obstacle course, tie dying, and face painting. Brynn couldn't wait to get her face painted.


We were trying to get a hold of the temple all week and they never answered but we decided to go hoping to into a session. After waking up at 4:30 a.m. we arrived at the temple at 7:30 a.m. and the temple was closed due to a power outage. I was devestated but we walked the church grounds and then we headed over to the Cannery for the first time in the six years we've been here. I never went because I thought children weren't allowed. We had an appointment at 1 p.m. but they let us come at 9 a.m. It was so worth the trip and we had so much fun doing what the prophet has asked us to do.



We made it to the Cannery and canned all of our food as a family. We were there about an hour and a half and canned a year supply for one adult.



Kamren and Ashleigh helped put the sticker labels on each can, filled the cans up for us and put the lids on each can for us as Kevin and I took turns sealing them.



Yippee! Here is our year's supply for one adult. We plan to go to the storehouse two to three times a year. We hope to make this a habit to keep rotating our food storage. We barely fit all the twenty boxes in our van but Kevin is so good at making everything fit.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

What fun family times you have together. It is good to know that they allow children in the cannery.

20 boxes in your van? Kevin must be an excellent packer!

Amy said...

Hey, good for you! What did you can and how much did it cost? Jeff is going to the cannery next month. We are excited to get started on our food storage, too!

Sara said...

My question is where do you store it in your house? We have tons of storage downstairs, but we have renters in our basement so anytime we need a can of flour or something we would have to bother them to get to it. I don't have any storage room upstairs. I'm going to the cannery next week, but I'm not sure how much to do with the limited storage space we have. Any suggestions?